Best Table Saw Fence Review 2018
Have you just realized you can do some woodworking tasks to impress your family and kids, because there are quite a few handy tools – like table saw fence systems – available in the market? Or maybe you’ve realized that it takes a little effort to master the cutting, and the rest of the job is easy. Then why you should hire carpenters if you can do small woodworking tasks on your own.
Why Table Saw Systems
When it comes to woodworking, you have no choice BUT to have a table saw that makes ripping and cutting the wood as easy as a piece of cake. For projects that need to be finished in a limited space of time, yet there’s no room for errors, table saws are extremely convenient. They can rip, crosscut, miter and bevel. Plus, you have the luxury of seeing what you’re cutting.
If you’re a starter and are looking for the best table saw, you can’t just buy the first one that got your attention. You have to choose the right type of the tool that not only suits the budget offers ease and accuracy, too. From traditional and heavy-duty “Cabinet” models to the modern-day, sleek and portable models, table saw systems exist in a large variety.
Too many things to consider, isn’t it? Don’t get confused, because you’ve landed on the page that will not only provide you with the table saw reviews on some top-of-the-line models in 2018, but will also guide you through to the important information about the equipment, and assist you in choosing the best model according to your requirements.
And if you’re a pro, we’d recommend you should get to the review section and check out some of the best aftermarket table saw fence systems.
6 Best Table Saw Fence
Here are our top picks from the table saw fences in 2018.
|Vega PRO 40 (Top pick)||45.5 pound||4.3/5|
|Vega U26 (Best for the money)||34 pound||4.5/5|
1. Vega PRO 40 Table Saw Fence System Review: 42-Inch Fence Bar, 40-Inch to Right
Vega PRO 40 Table Saw Fence System Review
- Offers 40-inch movement to the right and 10-inch movement to the left of the blade.
- 50-inch rip fence capacity for quick and accurate cutting.
- The precise measuring scale lets you cut the timber according to the specs in the first attempt.
- The front brackets allow you to adjust the fence vertically and horizontally.
- Vega Pro 40 features jacking plates, to help you level the rails.
- No drilling required.
- Easy installation wouldn’t take more than 15 minutes to have your saw table ready for use.
Vega produces some of the finest, sturdiest and high-accuracy fence systems, but Vega Pro 40 is an undisputed king. Its design and dimensions makes it suitable for both, trainees and pros regardless of the high price of $599.
Here are few good reasons why this item has been the blockbuster:
Adaptable and Versatile
The Vega Pro 40 is highly adaptable to a wide variety of table saw brands. It fits equally well on new table saws as it does on older models. For example, you can fit it on Sears CI table, Portable Cable PCB222TS 10-inch table saw, and Bosh 4100 table saw.
The 45-pound table saw fence system features bolt holes to prevent you from drilling holes. It features existing holes for different brands, like Delta Unisaws, Powermatic 66, Contractor Saws, and Sears 10-inch saws.
High-Quality Wood Products
The entire fence system is meant for stylish cuts and thought-provoking wood furniture. From the fully adjustable fence mounting system to micro adjustment, guide rails, aux table, guide tube and 2.5-inch fence height etc., every design element of the Vega Pro 40 ensures that you get high-quality finished product in a less possible time.
Pros and Cons:
Amongst all the fence systems of the Vega brand, Vega Pro 40 Table Saw Fence with 42-Inch Fence Bar, 40-Inch to Right has earned the highest number of customer reviews (233, till date) and 4.4 rating on Amazon.com.
- The high-end design allows finger-touch movement of the blade.
- It works both ways; 40″ to the right of the blade and 10 inches to the left of the blade. So, it suits both; the left-handed and the right-handed contractors.
- The rip capacity is 40 inches which is suitable for cabinet and drawer manufacturers.
- This particular model doesn’t take as much space as other fence systems with longer fences.
- Vega Pro 40 is easily portable and can be fixed on a large variety of tabletops. So, it indirectly cuts down your transportation cost and saves ample amount of time of transporting the pieces from cutting site to the installation site.
- Although Vega Pro 40 is highly adaptable, you may need to adjust the fence system on saw models that are not supported.
- Price of this system is slightly on the higher side. But think of it as one-time investment because this system offers solid construction.
2. Vega PRO 50 Table Saw Fence Review: 42-Inch Fence Bar, 50-Inch to Right
Vega is a brand known for manufacturing high-quality and long-lasting products. Remember, products like the table saw fence are long-term investments. Vega Pro 50 Table Saw Fence System with 42-Inch Fence Bar may just be the woodcutting mechanisms you’re looking for.
The rip fence system has an eye-catching design, offers accuracy with micro adjustments, and versatility. So, if you’re a contractor, you may be interested in getting to know this product in more depth.
- The cross-section is rectangular, measuring 11.9 x 4.1 square inches.
- The guided rails are mounted on the saw while the guide tube carries the fence smoothly through the rails. The mounting system offers high accuracy and all sorts of adjustments.
- The fence height is 2.5 inches which is great for cutting the timber according to your requirements.
- Highly competitive price.
- Compatible with a lot of saw models, especially the older models.
Aluminum Head and Chrome Rail
As the Vega brand is the symbol of excellent stability, Vega Pro 50 lives up to the reputation. The Vega saw fences are amongst the toughest fences available today, and this particular system is taking the competition to the next level as it features aluminum head and chrome plated front rail.
Quality and Quantity
Meant for high-quantity and high-quality work, the Vega Pro 50 features a 42-inch bar. It can slide up to 50 inches to the right side of the blade and 10 inches to the left side of the blade. The fence system supports up to 60 inches in total. That means you can do more work in less time by sliding the fence either ways.
Pros and Cons
Moving to the best part of the review – what customers and experts have to say about Vega Pro 50 42-inch Fence System. But before you move on, we’d like to highlight that it has maintained a mouth-watering score of 4.4 out of 5, and till date, it has earned 179 highly positive table saw fence reviews:
- The mounting system is supported by brackets to position the rails properly. It offers full adjustment to get the accuracy you want. This is the reason why cabinet manufacturers and kitchen artists prefer this saw fence over other models.
- The long 42-inch fence and 50-inch rip capacity to the right makes Vega Pro 50 suitable for large and small projects alike, because it gets the job done quickly and easily.
- The 49.5-lb fence system has a solid construction that lasts longer and requires less maintenance as compared with other fence models in the market.
- The fence system is compatible with most table saw brands, like Dwalt 746 rails, Craftsmen 10” saw, Craftsmen 113.298840, Craftsmen 113.298762 and Matika etc.
- This saw fence is perfect for pros because it offers straightforward installation, easy fitting on a variety of table saws, length of the fence guide, and highly competitive price.
- With dimensions 77.2 x 11.9 x 4.1 inches, Vega Pro 50 is suitable for the large spaces. If you have a small space, we recommend you should go for smaller versions.
- This particular table saw fence upgrade is available for $271. But if you think about how efficient it is, you’d be buying it already.
This one is another handy tool from Vega, smaller in length and offers 26-inch and 8-inch to the right side and left side of the blade, respectively. The Vega U26 with 36-inch Fence has something that other models can’t offer – the weight factor.
- Mounting holes are 8-9 inches, to let you fit the fence on any given saw table without too much of preps.
- You can take help from the detailed guide on using the guide system with the saw table.
- The front brackets are slotted, so you don’t need to drill holes, and they also allow you to adjust the fence according to vertical and horizontal plane.
- Small, sophisticated design lets you make micro adjustments fairly easily.
Smaller Size Means Easier Portability
If you’re a pro and don’t have enough space for wood-cutting, you’ll have to take your equipment to the site and perform all the necessary preparations. For this purpose, Vega U26’s light weight and small size makes it easier for you to take the fence system along, wherever you go.
The universal design of the Vega U26 Table Saw System allows you to fit it on any given saw table, small to large. It has a weight of just 34 pounds, quick and easy installation, and solid steel construction.
For high quality cuts and shapes, pros normally rely on small fence bars and precise measuring scale to get the job done. The locking mechanism fixes the blade parallel to the system, giving you highly accurate and consistent cutting.
Pros and Cons
Till date, the Vega U26 Table Saw Fence System has accumulated 89 customer reviews and most of them have been highly positive. The overall rating of the model is quite satisfactory as well. It has got 4.5 out of 5 score on Amazon.com.
- The Vega U26 Fence system has been designed to fit on Delta Unisaws, Powermatic Model 66, Contractor Saws and Sears 10-inch table saws.
- It offers 34-inch rip capacity in total (26-inch to right and 8-inch to left)• Less weight and sturdier body allows for portability and long-lasting investment.
- The saw fence system is available at $289. At such a price range, you can get longer fence systems. However, you’ll have to compromise on the quality, construction, installation and accessory limitations.
For those who are looking for saw fence systems online, Delta 36-T30 T2 30-inch Fence and Rail System would make a great addition to their table saw accessories. It can fit saw tables with minimum 30-inch length from back to front.
- At the price of $300, this saw fence would give you more than just woodcutting.
- The light weight of 30 pounds allows better control and ease of use.
- The table saw fence system is tailor-made for major table saw brands in the market. It features a cross section of 3 x 3 inches which is ideal for any model of table saw.
- The fence system has predrilled holes to let you fit the system in less time and effort.
- The maximum rip capacity of the Delta 36-T30 fence system is 30 inches, which means, you have a more options of wood cutting. The rail system measures 60 inches in length.
- The rail system mounted over the tabletop is secured with the locking mechanism at both ends of the table. Locking mechanism at each end prevents tension and vibration in the fence, so that you get high-quality cuts.
The aftermarket table saw fence stands out because of its sturdy built as well as the welding that offers more sturdiness to the joints. That means, the fence system holds firm under pressure. The fence bar has a light weight of just 30 pounds, yet it offers uncompromised durability, thanks to the combination of aluminum face, solid-steel angled iron and solid-steel tubing.
Delta 36-T30 Saw Fence System offers great accuracy and persistence because of its 3-point locking mechanism that’s been incorporated in high-end systems. The locking system lets the user cut the timber with pin-point accuracy while the steel tube fence glides smoothly.
Pros and Cons
A lot of customers have tried this product and have given more than satisfactory feedback on its performance. The saw fence system has a good rating of just under 4. Here are some pros and cons of Delta 36-T T2 30-inch Fence and Rail System.
- Best product for high-quantity woodcutting.
- Installation of the fence system is easier than other systems in the market. The mounting hardware complements the high quality fence system, unlike other models that customers felt disappointed with.
- The 3-point locking system is by far the best feature of the table saw rip fence system.
- Unlike other fence systems that failed to comply with older table saw models, this saw fence can be fitted on various models, such as 1941 10-feet Saw Table, the Hitachi Table, and more.
- Delta T36 T2 30-inch Fence and Rail System offers sliding fence that moves with just finger pressure, yet locks solidly.
- Installing the fence on 30-40 year old models can be tricky because, some non-Delta models may have a different distance between the holes. Therefore, it needs some adjustments before you start working.
- Delta T2 cannot fit tabletops that are below 30 inches. So, make sure you have accurate measurements before you buy this product.
Vega U50 Table Saw Fence System with 36-Inch Fence Bar and 50-Inch to Right seems to be the underrated product, but it is no short of quality and class. The reason it’s not in the limelight is, Vega U50 is meant for the homeowners, starters and hobbyists who don’t want to invest too much in a fence bar system. However, this particular saw fence upgrade would certainly improve the performance and ability of your table saw.
- The fence system has solid steel construction for long-lasting usage. Steel body prevents wear and tears if the system is not being used even for a few months. The 38-pound weight signifies that the Vega U50 Fence System has a solid body, and it can work efficiently for a long time.
- The fence bar is made from aircraft blade aluminum. So, it’s not only a high-quality fence bar, it would cut the thick wood as easily as it cuts flat (and thinner) wooden sheets.
- 58-inch total rip capacity increases the efficiency of the saw table since you can cut more pieces of timber in less time.
- The rails have anodized finish, so they offer frictionless and smooth gliding to the fence. That means, you can make quick adjustments by moving the fence with your fingers.
Improves Accuracy of an Ordinary Table Saw
The Vega U50 Table Saw Fence System has a 36-inch fence bar that gives you 50-inch rip capacity to right and 8 inches to the left of the blade. Moreover, the fence height is exactly the same as Vega Pro fence systems; 2-1/2 inches high. To add to that, you’ll get auxiliary support for the table and full micro adjustments. The whole combo is meant to let you cut the timber to the price measurements.
Ease of Use
When it comes to installing the fence system on saw tables, Vega U50 Fence System is equally compatible as the Vega Pro models. It features mounting holes for different kinds of saws, like contractor saws, Delta Unisaws, Powermatic model 66, and more. The rail mounting holes are 8 to 9 inches on both sides of the blade, preventing you from drilling. So, the installation is quite easy and quick as compared to other 36-inch fence systems.
Pros and Cons
As mentioned earlier, Vega U50 may not be as effective as Vega Pro models, because it’s been manufactured for small cutting projects. So, it has got less customer reviews as compared to the other models of the Vega brand. But, majority of the favorable reviews suggest that the fence system never cease to amaze the customers, performance-wise. Currently, it has a good score of 4.1 out of 5 on Amazon.com. Take a look at the pros and cons of this product:
- Like other Vega table saw fence systems, Vega U50 aftermarket table saw fence system offers quick-n-easy installation and great control on cutting.
- The smooth glides, solid locking mechanism and aircraft blade aluminum fence offers high-accuracy.
- It allows both vertical and horizontal adjustments, so that you can cut the piece of wood to the exact dimensions and get the ideal shape.
- 50-inch rip capacity offers better efficiency.
- Vega U50 Fence System appears to be expensive at $389, but when you consider all the good features – like strong construction, micro adjustments, smooth gliding of the fence etc. you may want to consider stretching your budget a bit.
The Shop Fox W140 Fence with Standard Rails fits with a table 27 inches in length. It is the original table saw fence that has gained a solid reputation (Amazon’s Choice Tag) online. Moreover, the product has got highly positive customer reviews and a formidable rating of 4.5.
- The table saw features fine positioning knobs at either sides, allowing you to move it with the right or left hand. So, if you’re a left-handed person, this saw fence should be your first pick.
- The Shop Fox W1410 features universal attachment accessories that can fit on almost every popular table saw brand in the market. This is actually a cost-effective benefit.
- The Roller Tracking System offers high level of accuracy, because it maintains the precise alignment of the fence and the blade during woodcutting. With the roller tracking system, you can even work without engaging the lock system, yet make small adjustments according to your requirements.
- The table saw fence with standard rails has a solid construction that features anodized aluminum and micro-precision knobs. The polish gives a long-life to the aluminum and the positioning knobs are meant for greater control.
- The 37.6 pounds Shop Fox W1410 Fence has been designed for fast and sophisticated installation without too much of external help. Yet, if you need help, you can refer to the manufacturer’s manual included in the package.
- The table saw fence is compatible with add-ons and attachments. For example, you can attach table saw jigs for special and unique shapes or line; or add the anti-kickback system from Board Buddies, etc.
- Compared with other brands, the Shop Fox W1410 Fence is the cheapest of the lot. In fact, it would be the best table saw rip fence under $200. To be precise, it’s available for just $173.22 on Amazon.com.
Designed for Accuracy
Vibration in the saw causes inaccuracy and it becomes literally impossible to get the finesse. Shop Fox W1410 Fence with Standard Rails is all about accuracy. The table saw fence allows you to secure it from both the ends so that it never vibrates or cause any tension during woodcutting.
The back and forth motion is super-easy, thanks to the ball bearing design that lets you move the Shop Fox W1410 Fence with Standard Rails even with one finger. That means, there’s no pain in your arms at the end of the day.
Pros and Cons
In the lights of the customer reviews, expert opinions and our own research about the Shop Fox W1410 Fence, here are some positive and negative aspects of this products:
- The table saw fence is quite sophisticated.
- Perfectly fits all the major brands of saw tables that exceed 27 inches in length.
- The compatibility with other accessories gives you an advantage of doing experiments,
- The fence with standard rails improves the performance of the table saw.
- Allows precise and accurate timber cutting.
- The locking mechanism keeps the fence in position regardless of the high amount of woodcutting.
- Solid aluminum construction adds durability to the fence.
- It is possible to get accurate and precise cuts, thanks to the roller tracking mechanism.
- Doesn’t put burden on the arms and shoulders, thanks to the unique ball bearing design.
- Meant for everyone whether left-handed or right-handed.
- Exceptional system for the people who have inflexible budget.
- The owner’s manual can be a bit difficult to understand. You might need to go through it a couple of times to install the product and/or make adjustments. That’s a normal scenario for someone who’s using the table saw fence for the first time.
- Installation can be tricky, if you’re installing the saw fence on the older table saw, and that’s quite natural. Older systems, especially obsolete models require lots of preparations before fitting the saw fence.
What to Look For in a Table Saw Fence
When choosing the right table saw rip fence, you have to consider a few things. It’s not only about price, you have to think about whether the fence system you’re about to purchase, is the solution to your problem, or not. So, better go through the below lines and determine which of the above mentioned system meets your requirements.
Table Saw Fence Construction
Overall construction of the fence system, along with the quality of the other accessories should be the first and foremost consideration. You won’t be investing on it again for at least 2 to 3 years. Normally, solid steel and aircraft grade constructions offer better durability and performance than other constructions.
Table Saw Fence Size
We assume that you have gone through above mentioned table saw fence reviews. So, you’d have a good idea that saw fences come in different sizes. This size variation is based on the kind of tasks users have. For large pieces of wood, you’d go for larger size. For small pieces of wood, or small projects, you’d choose small-size fence bars. You can either go for a 30-inch rip-capacity fence or the one that offers 50-inch rip capacity.
Table Saw Fence Installation
Fence system enhances the ability of the saw. So, it should be compatible with the saw table – have drilled holes at exactly the same position as your table saw has. So, while you look for the fence system, keep your table saw in mind. Installation should not take more than 30 minutes. And that depends on the number of options offered by the fence system (drilled holes, brackets, locking mechanism etc.)
Table Saw Fence Accuracy
Table saw fence system is meant to provide you high level of accuracy. So, it is better to look for the fence systems that support micro adjustments. These small adjustments would give you better control and help you make the final cuts fairly easily.
Table Saw Fence Alignment
For repeat cuts, you’re going to need a fence system that holds steady and allows you to achieve consistency through repeat cuts. For this purpose, we’d recommend you should read customer reviews on how reliable a particular fence system is.
Table Saw Fence Price
Finally, it’s the budget that would help you choose the best fence rationally. Here, we’d recommend not to compromise on the aforementioned factors just because you cannot afford a certain fence system. Instead, compare identical models and choose the one that falls close to your budget.
Table Saw Fence FAQs
In this section we have gathered most common questions and answers related to table saw fence. You’ll get plenty of information in these lines:
Q. What should I do to order the right T-square?
A: Before placing an order for the T-square, measure the guide rail. The T-square should have the same measurements as the guide rail.
Q. How much extension at either sides of the blade do guide rails offer?
A. It depends upon the brand you’re using. Some models offer large capacity up to 60 inches while others offer 50 inches to the right and 10 inches to the left of the fence blade. There are some models that would give you equal extensions at either sides. But you have to consider which brand meets your requirements.
Q. Do all table saw fence systems have measuring tape?
A. Again, it depends upon the brand. Some models have measuring tape while others don’t. Better go through the features and see whether you’re getting a measuring tape with that particular saw fence model.
Q. Should the extension ring be removed during installation of the fence?
A. Not necessarily, because most modern-day models can be mounted over the tabletop and there is no need to remove extension wing. It is better to go through the manual before installing the fence.
Q. Is removing the fence easy?
A. Modern-day fence models can be installed and removed easily. The fence comes off as it slides at the end of the rail.
The entire table saw system should give you ease, accuracy, time-effectiveness and high-quality cuts. It doesn’t matter if you have the best table saw, a wrong selection of the table saw upgrades would ruin the whole purpose.
Therefore, it is vitally important to go through table saw fence reviews and choose the one that meets your requirements. If you has no experience of working with table saw fence systems before, we’re sure that you’ve got plenty of information to make your first purchase.
You can either choose from the above list of best table saw fences or go through unlimited options offered by Amazon.com. Still, if you have any concerns and queries, do write to us. We’d be delighted to answer them.
And if you need to buy a pole saw read our reviews: “10 best pole saw reviews 2018” to choose the best products for your work.